In my never-ending quest to reduce the junk, I mean stuff in my house, I decided (at the last minute) to make 25-30 small bags to donate to my church for an upcoming fundraising tea and luncheon. These bags can be used for craft projects, cosmetics, pens, pencils, crayons, baby supplies, gift bags….
Box bags are too time-consuming so I’m sewing another bag similar to the ones shown at the bottom of this post.
Using some new as well as vintage fabrics from iPad aunt’s and my M-I-L’s fabric stash along with zippers from my stash, I hope to be finished with this project by the end of the week.
Cutting the outer fabric, lining fabric and fleece interfacing takes a lot longer than one might expect.
I also have the bags broken down by thread color so I can set up an assembly line and whip through them quicker.
So that’s what I’ve been doing lately. Any last-minute projects taking up your time?
Instead of buying paper for the packets, I used some old music paper which I ran through the printer to add some holiday graphics.
The packets contain a small ornament to hang on a small 2-foot tree. One ornament per child each day beginning December 1st so by Christmas Eve the tree will be decorated. This year it’s 69 ornaments as the candy cane tree won’t hang on the tree. (BTW, my daughter saves most of the ornaments each year and gives them back to me every other year so I don’t have to buy all new ones each year. And the grandchildren haven’t complained yet!)
My fellow blogger, Salpal1, made some curtains and I commented on the travel theme. Mr. Aitch and I just got a new GPS and I thought a travel-themed fabric would be great to sew up a case for it. So Salpal sent me some of her leftover fabric.
I loved the names of the states but wait…
…no West Virginia!
That just can’t be.
So using fabric markers and some rubber stamps, I altered the one side (sorry Oklahoma) to get at least one West (by God) Virginia on the cover.
I measured the size of the GPS and added an inch to each side so it would be easier to get in and out, added a zipper, lining, doubled the fusible batting for protection and called it done.The back…
The inside…Then I decided to make another cover/case for the window attachment and cord and have it large enough so everything would fit inside for when we want to remove it all from the car and keep everything all together. I adapted the size of this pattern and made it a bit smaller. I didn’t have enough of the Route 66 Fabric so I pieced together some complementary fabric to make it large enough.
Um, one side.
Inside with just the attachments.
All included.Ready to go.
Thank you, Salpal, for the fabric scraps. I love it and had fun making it.