BFF knitted cap

I loved knitting the 1898 cap so I knit another one in shades of grey.  Just because.

My BFF read about the cap and I offered to knit one for her if I could use yarn from my ever-expanding stash.

She is so not a grey person and picked the blue variegated one (second from the right).

As so another quick knit was born in three days.

The yarn is Cascade 220 Paints and I love the color BUT it pools terribly for this needle size and stitch count.  Pooling means that the colors  group together in pools rather than float nicely around the item.  Sometimes it’s a good thing and sometimes not.  I wanted the colors play together and not be antisocial and cling together.

The headband is knit first and I really liked the way the colors spread but then when I began the crown part, I was not too happy with the way they didn’t as you can see below.  If that would have happened on the front instead of the back, it would have been fine.

I ripped the crown apart and tried to knit with both ends to get rid of the pooling but I was not successful.  I had a similar solid light blue in my stash so I randomly knit a row here and there to break it up.

Colorful?

Yes!  Win-win!

1898 finished

Another finished project – the 1898 cap is off the needles and ready for gifting.

As you may recall I overdyed some purple yarn with food coloring and vinegar because the color was too bright and I could change it.

Loving these colors!

I used a bright green one the back part of the headband so the recipient could tell the front from the back.  The back is smaller than the front by design but it’s just easier to tell the difference with a bright, visual clue.

Mr. Aitch (reluctantly) modeled for me.  He will find this under the Christmas tree next month.

The doubled headband was easy to knit and will really keep the ears warm.

Now should I add a pompom to the top?

The magic and the horror

Spindrift shawl is off the needles. 

This is my first lace-type project and this pattern is a great choice for my first lacy-shawl experience.  Kudos to Helen Stewart!

The scrunched up piece of woolly goodness takes a deep breath and expands into loveliness just like magic.

Blocking makes the magic happen when a finished piece is soaked in water, rolled into a towel to absorb as much water as possible, then stretched and pinned into place.

Ahhh, the magic of blocking.

Then the horror of blocking appears while stretching and pinning.

Oops, a dropped stitch.  Right in the middle of the back.  Probably happened when I had to rip back to a life line and missed picking up that stitch.

I was hoping that this is just a BIG stitch.  Looks like a slipped stitch to me.  What do you think?  Some fiddly work is needed to correct this.

And what’s this?  A missed stitch?  Now how do I fix this horror?!

Seriously.  How do I correct this?

Super tight knitting here.  What’s up with that?

I knew things wouldn’t be perfect as I was a few stitches off towards the end even though the pattern has the stitch count listed after each row.  I was good up until the last few lace rows.  I used life lines throughout and I still made some mistakes that I wasn’t aware of until now.

I used less than one 100 g ball of Zauberball sock yarn in the colorway Bunte Gasse (color number 2310).  The color description wasn’t real telling and from what I could see in the sample I thought it would be blues, green, and yellows.  The red was a big surprise.  Now I love red but I’m not a huge rainbow-colored accessories kind of person so I don’t LOVE this colorway for me.

All in all I am pretty happy with the result and will gladly say “I made this myself” should anyone ask.  Or I’ll rip out the entire thing and make another pair of socks.

What would you do?  Fix or frog (rip-it, rip-it)?

 

 

 

Chairs

Both chairs are finished.  The colors aren’t that true and I can’t seem to get the right adjustments to make them more realistic.  The yellowish-green is more of a chartreuse green and the blues have more depth.

Rita’s chair: Done!  This is now my knitting chair as it sits in the corner.

And here it is in front of the window.  iPad Aunt’s chair resides there now.

iPad Aunt’s chair: Done but not happy with the cushion.  I didn’t wrap the new foam in Dacron before stuffing it into the cover.  It looks too boxy and I need to fix that.  Plus the seat cushion looks too big for the chair but it’s not that way in real life.

Both chairs side-by-side.  You can see that they are very similar but different.  Rita’s chair has a lower part on the bottom front, straight-arm stump, and is a smaller chair.  iPad Aunt’s chair is straight across the bottom front, has a curved arm stump, and is a wider chair.

I tried very hard to get the patterns to match up on both chairs but it was very difficult.  The pattern was 24 inch vertical repeat so I tried not to waste fabric.

I am in the process of redoing the ottoman that matches Rita’s chair but that is on hold for now.  Too many irons in the fire.