A fox is the school mascot for three of our grandkids so I gravitate towards those pattern charts if I want to knit something for them. These Foxy Friends mitts by Fiona Alice fit the bill and were so quick and easy to knit as I began them Friday evening and finished both mitts by Sunday afternoon.
The worsted weight yarn made for the speed and using the larger needle size for the stranded colorwork helped keep the tension looser.
If I knit these again (and I’m sure I will as three kids can’t/won’t share one pair), I will continue the thumb pattern on the palm side as there will be shorter yarn floats in which fingers could get caught. These mitts are super warm with the double layer of wool used for the fox faces.
Yarns used: Cascade Heather in Jet and Japanese Maple. Brunswick Germantown Knitted Worsted in Ecru. I used less than a fourth skein (I need a yarn scale!!) of each color.
A second Spindrift wrap is off the needles, blocked and on its way to a new home.I just used pins for this one as I didn’t have my blocking wires at the time and I was in a hurry to get this blocked.
Lacy type knitting evidently isn’t my forte but I’m going to keep trying. A double yarn over here or a missed stitch? I don’t know but it won’t unravel so I’m calling it good.
Besides who will notice it when worn?
I did reblock the first Spindrift that had several challenges and it looks so much better. I used the new blocking wires for this and was really impressed with how easy it was to shape the wrap.
I picked up the dropped stitch and used a crochet hook to “knit” it down to the eyelet and tacked it down.
I probably should have just tacked the stitch where it was dropped as the result of trying to take it to the edge or in this case a change in pattern caused a line of tight stitches.
But blocking helped relax those to some extent. My cast-on needs some practice, too.
Lesson learned. I hope I can remember it again!
This cowl is for my grandson, brother of the twins. I can’t send them something and ignore him!
The pattern is the Neon Jungle Cowl but I made some modifications that can be found on my Ravelry page here. I liked the thermal-type texture of the Broken Rib Stitch and it looks good on both the right side and wrong side.
The color is a multi-hunter green but looks more bluish here.