I finally finished the quilt for my Colorado grandson! Happy Dance!!!
I love it, I Love It, I LOVE IT!
Once the top was pieced together, I added two borders to make it bigger to fit a twin-sized bed. The finished size is 72 X 94. I think I may have made it too large but, well, it should still work.
This is before the outside border was quilted. I just ran a line of stitching next to the white border and again next to where the binding would be sewn. I hope that area won’t shift without much quilting to hold it together.
The front. Shout out to Mr. Aitch for standing on a stool and holding it up for the picture. It was raining and the front porch was the only option.
The bottom right corner has a surprise for our grandson – his name (machine embroidered).
The bottom right corner has the dedication: To Lennon with love from Nona 2020 PJH.
And another surprise on the blue stripe running down the back – his initials.
Here is the quilt on a queen-sized bed. It’s plenty long enough! You can see the variations in the blues and greens better in this photo.
Our oldest grandson plays trumpet in his middle school band and the regional honors band concert was this past weekend. Fortunately, we were able to attend the concert and he did a fantastic job playing with his peers from eight surrounding counties.
As usual, I snapped this picture mid-blink.
Anyway, he needed a bag of some sort to store one of the mutes for his trumpet.
I found this vintage musical fabric in my stash. It was vintage as it is only 36-inches wide and it came from my grandmother’s house. I don’t know when the fabric manufacturers changed to 42-44 inch wide fabrics but it was a long time ago (1960’s or ’70’s). I thought it was perfect for the bag except that it had some pink instruments on it and I knew that he wouldn’t like that. So I got out my permanent fabric markers and went over the pink with the red and filled in some white trumpets with blue.
The lining is from an old fleece robe that was too long and coordinated with the outer fabric.
I cut the parachute cord drawstring too short to knot the ends so I just wrapped some black thread around the ends about 20-25 times, stitched it securely then burned the nylon ends with a lighter to keep them from fraying.
The bag has a simple box bottom.
I’m not sure if he liked it but it will keep his trumpet mute clean and cushioned on his case.
Though I have been sewing as long as I’m been knitting, I still don’t feel comfortable with precision patchwork. Half-square triangles to be specific. It’s all about sewing on the bias or any angle that could stretch out of kilter.
So I decided to make the windmill block for my grandson’s airplane quilt symbolizing a propeller rather than half-square triangles using this tutorial. This block still involves an angle but doesn’t have to be spot on with precision points.
Once all the blocks are sewn together, deciding on their placement will be the next challenge.
2020 is here and I hope it brings you much happiness, joy, and good health!
I have a new sewing project: a quilt for our soon-to-be seven-year-old grandson.
When I was visiting him in November, I noticed that the quilt he was using was starting to fall apart. He loves airplanes and his favorite color is green. This fabric was perfect for the backing! I purchased backing fabric and blue fat quarters several years ago and there they sat.
Going through my fabric stash, I found several greens that would play well together with the blues. Solid white will round out the color scheme.
The quilt front will be blues, greens, and white. The backing fabric will tie it all together.
Les Monsieurs by Tamara Kate for Michael Miller Fabrics #DC6095
Knitting projects are still hanging in there. More about them soon.