Align mitts

Focusing on something other than itching, burning, and general discomfort is great pain therapy!

The Align Mitts are finished and on their way.

This was a fun pattern and used less than a ball of Knit Picks Stroll fingering weight yarn.  This Duchess Heather is a rich, royal heathery purple.  I probably used a bit more than half.  (I so need a scale!)

The finished mitts look rather nondescript until on the hand.  The ribbing adds a nice vertical detail. 

Since both mitts are the same (no difference between the left and right ones), it’s quite easy to get into the rhythm and finish them quickly.

The ottoman

I finally finished the reupholstery projects I began last year.  I reupholstered two wingback chairs, one from my mother’s house and one from iPad aunt’s house.

My mother’s chair had a matching ottoman.

I didn’t like the way the top cushion was attached to the base as it was not secure and would wobble no matter how I many times I tried to straighten it.  

Plus it was too fiddly to try to recreate.

To give it the look of two cushions, I cut the side pieces a little bit longer than necessary and sewed a piece of cording about half way down.  Simple.

No progress pictures, just the final.

To-do list progress

Or maybe I should call this post my procrastination list.  The things I did because I didn’t want to do the things I needed to do.

To-Do List:

  1. Recover ottoman
  2. Clean basement
  3. Paint basement walls
  4. Reattach insulation to floor joists/ceiling in the basement
  5. Clean out walk-in closet
  6. Finish Bacardi Cardi
  7. Sew seams in Sunny Day top

Did-Instead List:

  1. Knit 2 Kindness Shawls (one, two)
  2. Knit Ka’ana Shawlette
  3. Knit top-down cardigan
  4. Sew travel bag for GPS
  5. Knit four face/washcloths
  6. Knit the Accidental Shawl
  7. Recover ottoman – Yes!  I can check this off the above list!!!
  8. Repaint outside door from the garage
  9. Repaint front door and trim

Ok – so I actually did one thing from the To-Do list.  I finally finished recovering the ottoman that went with one of the chairs that I reupholstered last summer.  The only reason that I didn’t do it last year was that it is just too cold in the basement during the winter months to do that kind of work. More on this project another day.

The face/washcloths were a gift along with some handmade soaps from West Virginia to my daughter-in-law that we met for the first time while on our vacation.  I forgot to take pictures of the ones I gave to her but they were similar to these. Picot Swirl Cloth in the small size.  

Repainting the outside doors were always in the back of my mind so when I saw that the paint was on sale for 40% off, I had to jump at that and buy some.  More on this project another day, too.

So do you follow your To-Do List or do you find something else to do because you don’t want/need to do them?

The Accidental redo

We’ve had such dark and dreary weather here for the past week so I decided to rip out the last part of the Accidental Shawl to the dropped stitch.  No point in waiting and forgetting the plan.  I also began to join the other colors sooner to make them blend in better.  The red is definitely a brighter shade than the original but I think it still works.

Instead of adding more eyelets (and doing the math so they would line up), I just increased stitches at regular intervals.  Then the last seven rows before binding off in a picot edge, I added two rows of eyelets without increasing the stitch count.  Meaning I would knit two together and do a yarn over (K2tog, YO).

The eyelets aren’t that noticeable since the yarn is variegated and I used a garter stitch throughout the shawl.

These two white stitches scared me at first as I thought I dropped another stitch.

But as you can see, it’s just a part of the dye (or lack of it) in that one section.

I’ll just weave in the ends and call it done!