2020 is here and I hope it brings you much happiness, joy, and good health!
I have a new sewing project: a quilt for our soon-to-be seven-year-old grandson.
When I was visiting him in November, I noticed that the quilt he was using was starting to fall apart. He loves airplanes and his favorite color is green. This fabric was perfect for the backing! I purchased backing fabric and blue fat quarters several years ago and there they sat.
Going through my fabric stash, I found several greens that would play well together with the blues. Solid white will round out the color scheme.
The quilt front will be blues, greens, and white. The backing fabric will tie it all together.
Les Monsieurs by Tamara Kate for Michael Miller Fabrics #DC6095
Knitting projects are still hanging in there. More about them soon.
What are you working on?
Last week I mentioned that I was reknitting a top using some Berroco Calico yarn. The colors are very difficult to capture but it is a riot of warm tones.
Using the Drops Sunny Day Top pattern, I decided to start on the front before I got to the armhole shaping for the back. I want to use as much yarn as possible and at this point, I can make the top a bit longer or shorter as needed.
The top has a two stitch garter edge that should make seaming a breeze as well as four rows of garter stitch at the bottom to keep it from rolling too much.
My markers indicate the decrease rows. Only eight stitches in all but it should give the top some shaping.
The charted back is relatively easy but I need to concentrate.
As you can see, I missed the correct placement of one of the yarn overs. It’s closer to the bottom than the top and I’m not going to fix it.
That’s right. It will be our secret. Shhh!
The Bacardi Cardigan sweater is knit on circular needles though knit flat. The reason is so the color changes don’t have to start and end on the same edge. If the color you need is on the other side, just turn the work over and start knitting/purling from that edge. It can get tricky but it saves from weaving in hundreds of ends when finished. And weaving in cotton yarn has challenges quite different from wool. It’s slippery, doesn’t like to stay put and has a mind of its own.
I remember now why I put my Bacardi Cardi in hibernation. Besides having six balls of yarn attached to the needles…
…the edges are wonky.
Some areas are nubby and the yarn doesn’t want to lay flat.
And the tension is too tight or too loose in places.
I think I must…
and start over.
One plus is that I do have the correct gauge with US #5 needles even though I did knit a swatch earlier, it was good to know that the swatch didn’t lie.
I found a few videos on making a better selvage edge while carrying several colors of yarn that might be helpful. I would need to add another stitch to each side but if it helps with that unevenness and bulk, it will be worth it:
- This one is a great technique and is right to the point of what I was looking for.
- Way #5 in this video. This is the same technique as above and begins at 8:51 but watch the entire video if you want other to see other methods.
I also asked the designer, Barbara Gregory, for suggestions. Her reply:
One suggestion for the edges is to occasionally work the first stitch of a row (preferably a row of a single color) with one of the yarns that is being carried up the edge. This stitch will not show once seaming and bands are completed, but it will anchor the carried yarn and help you to maintain the desired tension along that vertical edge.
My other thought regarding the edges is to do seaming and picking up of stitches for the band more than a single stitch in from the edge if necessary to get a clean edge.
So I’m ready to try this again!
Works in progress.
I dropped a stitch on the Shaad Mitts awhile back and forgot about it until I picked them back up and started working on them.
It took some time but I managed to find the dropped stitch and get it back on the needle.
Seven more pattern rows then the ribbing on the finger end and thumb. And begin mitt #2.
I saw these cool Drinkers Mitts on Ravelry (free pattern) and posted them on my Facebook page.
A friend asked me if I could make them for her but change the background color to red.
Two rows down…many, many more to go.
Last month Rachelle from My Tangled Yarn posted about a hat she was making for her son: Henry’s Hat.
The story about Henry and his favorite hat also includes patterns for the hat, a sweater, and chipmunk toy.
So a hat for my grandson (whose middle name is my last name) is now on the needles.
I am in the process of decluttering, organizing, and getting rid of stuff that I don’t love or doesn’t fit in my life/house any more. I’m also on a yarn and fabric diet. No new yarn or fabric is coming into this house unless there is a specific reason/project for it. And all the above projects are from my yarn stash!