Happy belated New Year!

2020 is here and I hope it brings you much happiness, joy, and good health!

I have a new sewing project: a quilt for our soon-to-be seven-year-old grandson.

When I was visiting him in November, I noticed that the quilt he was using was starting to fall apart.  He loves airplanes and his favorite color is green.  This fabric was perfect for the backing!  I purchased backing fabric and blue fat quarters several years ago and there they sat. 

Going through my fabric stash, I found several greens that would play well together with the blues.  Solid white will round out the color scheme.

The quilt front will be blues, greens, and white.  The backing fabric will tie it all together.

Les Monsieurs by Tamara Kate for Michael Miller Fabrics #DC6095

Knitting projects are still hanging in there.  More about them soon.

What are you working on?

 

A new obsession

I haven’t been posting much lately.  Things have gotten a bit hectic at home and at work. 

Our office has a two-day conference this coming week and someone has to organize the logistics with the hotel, meeting space and menus, order the meeting packets and give-aways, design and mail invitations, postcards, meeting packets and newsletters, collect the registration data, design and print the programs, table signs, and nametags.

That someone is me.  While I like doing all those things, I do not want to look at a computer screen.

Sorry.

But…I have been busy not knitting.

A few months ago I decided I was going to do something from my bucket list.  Don’t ask me what else is on it as I just started making a bucket list.

Anyway, making a quilt is on that list so I’m making quilts for my grandchildren.  I just finished two twins bed sized quilt tops and plan to piece the backing as well to make both sides fun.

The twins share a bedroom so I made theirs similar.

E-quilt-2013

Both are the same “Stack and Slash” technique using mostly the same fabrics in each.  When I saw this on Chasing Cottons blog, I knew it would be possible for me to do.   The tutorial from Kate Conkil was easy to follow.  I used three stacks of fabric instrad of two as I was making a larger quilt.  I also had to add some fabric tp make it wider for the twin bed.  Extra blocks were cut up and pieced together for a horizontal column.

Z-quilt-2013

I used Kona solids and some cotton scraps from other sewing projects.   I even used some fabric scraps from the dresses I made them a couple of years ago.  (Yes, the one that got eaten by the Destroyer.)  I bought backing fabric when I was in Ohio this past July.  I don’t have the backing plan finalized but I do have it narrowed down to two.  Or three.

The Stack and Slash method seemed like the perfect technique since no seams have to match up.  Adding the row of horizontal stripes negated that right away but I did still got everything to line up.  You might be able to enlarge the photos by clicking on them.  I think.

I plan to quilt these on my new sewing machine.  Simple lines.  Simple wavy lines.  Simple wonky lines most likely.  But that is a long way off.