Dumbledore’s Blueberry Smoothie socks

I finally finished the first of two of Dumbledore’s Blueberry Smoothie socks. I love the pattern and am thankful there are charts to follow.

I decided to save a couple of grams of my hand-dyed yarn and use a solid (Knit Picks Stroll in Duchess Heather) for the toes. The purple in the KP yarn is almost an exact match to the purple in the blueberry yarn though it doesn’t look like it in the photos.

I like the texture in the pattern as it would help break up any pooling of color in the yarn but I didn’t have that challenge.

In fact, I like the plain stockinette stitches on the soles as much as the leg.

No second sock syndrome for me. I already cast on for the second sock but Pepper likes to sit in my lap and she hasn’t figured out yet that my knitting and yarn are OFF limits!

I have another sewing project to share later.

What are you working on?

P.S. On a personal note…Mr. Aitch’s brother is in the hospital and is in need of some healing thoughts and prayers. Thank you in advance.

Blueberry socks

I managed to wind this hank of hand-dyed yarn (named Blueberry Smoothie) before Pepper came home with us. Since I was having knitting-needle-sock withdrawal, I cast on for a pair of socks: Dumbledore’s Christmas Stockings by Erica Lueder.

I liked the texture and thought it would help avoid any pooling that sometimes occurs with hand-dyed yarn.

In fact, I’m not seeing any pooling.

The bottom of the foot looks so great in plain old stockinette stitch that I’m thinking I’d rather have a basic vanilla sock to show off the fabulous dye job! I really don’t want to rip this back since I’ve already knit past the heel.

Decisions, decisions….

Karate Kid Syncopation Socks

I may have mentioned in my last post how much I 💕💝 these socks. It is my favorite all-time pair of socks that I’ve knit so far!

The Syncopation pattern is toe-up but I prefer to knit top-down. The textured pattern works quite well either way. I’ve used this particular pattern three times, toe-up once and top-down twice.

My Karate Kid grandson dyed the yarn in June and I overdyed it in August for a deeper, richer green and blue colorway. Some of the original light green is still visible in spots which gives the yarn such depth.

Eye of Partridge heel

I knit these in nine days, quick for me, as I was under self-imposed pressure to get these in the mail before Christmas.

And to add a surprise…

..red toes! That will make it easier (I hope) to lengthen and/or repair in the future.

My focus has turned away from knitting socks for a while but I do have some other projects to share later.

Mr. Aitch and I do wish you a very Merry and Blessed Christmas. 🎄

What happened to November?

Well, I got really, really, really busy with several projects: knitting, sewing, refinishing and reupholstering a desk chair, sewing, knitting, sewing, knitting, and getting ready for a new addition to our home.

I finished (finally) the November socks for my daughter. These socks seemed to take forever. I put them on hold while I was helping my sister recover from surgery, then one of her precious greyhounds got involved, our two closest grandkids moved to Michigan, my birthday happened, and the list could go on and on. Here are the socks in all their glory.

I love the colors and it’s really hard to capture how pretty they really are. The honeycomb pattern was fairly easy but I did have to concentrate on those rows.

My sister gave me some fabric with a plate and silverware design so I made six placemats for my daughter.

These two chairs have been sitting in my basement since I rescued them from iPad aunt’s garage in 2015. I stripped one chair, refinished it, and put on new upholstery suede fabric. I took lots of pictures during the process but I’ll just show you the before and after. If you really want to see all the work-in-progress pictures, let me know and I’ll try to make some sense of them for you. Personally the before and after pictures should be enough. I plan to redo the other chair but that will have to wait till next spring as I have to do some of the work outside.

This quick sewing project took about an hour or two. I made mesh laundry bags to send with all of the socks I made with the hand-dyed yarn we dyed in June.

The Karate Kid’s socks were next on the project list and I finished them in record time (for me at least). I used this Syncopation Sock pattern that I’ve used before. The pattern is written for toe-up socks but I made these from the top down. I love the colors and wish I could keep them for myself! They deserve a post of their own so I’ll just show the finished project for now.

All of the socks I knit for my three grands and my daughter along with the mesh bags and placemats will be boxed up and sent to Colorado ASAP.

Another quick and easy sewing project was this leash. The fabric is a heavy brushed cotton that looks like a patchwork quilt. I had everything in my sewing stash so, in less than 30 minutes, it was done.

I just started this sweater (I’m just using one color) the other day and have a deadline of December 16 to get it off the needles…

…because we are getting ready for a new addition to our family.

A female miniature schnauzer puppy! No pictures of her right now but I will soon. Very soon! For the next several days puppy-proofing the house will be our #1 priority!