…I made this top. It was too large and knew it would end up on the Island of Misfit Knitting.
So I ripped it apart and chose a different pattern: Drops Design Sunny Day Top #170/32. It’s been almost finished for over a year. What was the problem?
I had to weave in the ends.
The yarn is a 50g, 90-yard ball of a cotton/acrylic/nylon blend in DK weight. I used almost all eight balls. I have 28 grams left and I wish I would have made a top-down top so I could use every last inch. Alas, that was not the case.
Saturday morning found me weaving in the ends.
And now I can call it FINISHED!
I’m a bit hunched over so you can see the eyelet details but I think I look like a linebacker.
Have you finished anything lately?
I finished the grey cardi and something’s not right with the button band at the neckline. Blocking will not correct that.
It’s too, I don’t know, angular. Too out there. Plus it sticks up too far from the top button marked with the yellow stitch marker.
The button band begins at one bottom edge, goes up to the neckline and continues around to the opposite side and back down to the bottom edge. A total of 304+ stitches!
I did a kfb (knit in the front and back) of the stitch before the turn at the neckline and after to keep the corner from puckering. I don’t like how it looks so I will rip out the last few rows of the button band and try to make that turn less sharp and more rounded. Or move the buttonholes.
Then I can block it and find some buttons for the win.
I’ve been working on another top-down cardigan for myself following the same outline as the one I knit last April/May. Yeah, the one that is too large but is still in sweater form. I thought that it might fit better over a heavier turtleneck, however, I was wrong. That sweater will be ripped apart and remade. Someday.
Anyway, I bought enough of this Red Heart Tweed yarn ages ago* (maybe 15-18 years ago?) and tried to knit myself a sweater. I loved the tweedy bits of aqua, purple, yellow and orange mixed in with the various shades of grey and white.
I did a gauge swatch and it was off and thought that it didn’t matter all that much. It did. It was too small. The yarn was turned back into balls and remained in the stash until I could face it again. So I decided to try another top-down cardi after I knit another gauge swatch. Yes, I did.
Most of the body is knit though I’m waiting to see how long I can make it once the sleeves are finished. One sleeve is done and I tried it on. Too tight. I fudged a bit on the decreases as I thought the sleeves might be too loose and once again, I was wrong. So I’ll be ripping back to the first decrease and FOLLOWING THE #@&% DIRECTIONS!
* way before I became a yarn snob
Last week I mentioned that I was reknitting a top using some Berroco Calico yarn. The colors are very difficult to capture but it is a riot of warm tones.
Using the Drops Sunny Day Top pattern, I decided to start on the front before I got to the armhole shaping for the back. I want to use as much yarn as possible and at this point, I can make the top a bit longer or shorter as needed.
The top has a two stitch garter edge that should make seaming a breeze as well as four rows of garter stitch at the bottom to keep it from rolling too much.
My markers indicate the decrease rows. Only eight stitches in all but it should give the top some shaping.
The charted back is relatively easy but I need to concentrate.
As you can see, I missed the correct placement of one of the yarn overs. It’s closer to the bottom than the top and I’m not going to fix it.
That’s right. It will be our secret. Shhh!