FO Friday

FO = finished object

Yay!  One more pair of socks for the gift pile…or myself.

This is the Handmade Sock Society Season 2 first sock: Shell Cottage.  If you’ve ever knit anything from Helen Stewart, you know how well written her patterns are.  She lists each row and the stitch count so it’s easy to put down the project and pick it up again.  I still kept track of my rows on the sock foot so I could make they were both the same length.  I learned the hard way to count my rows rather than just measure the length as it is easy to stretch an item to make it fit (and hurry the knitting along).

The second sock in the series will be released next month.

Knit Picks Stroll fingering yarn in Basalt Heather, 69 grams.  Size #1 (2.25mm) needle.

I really like the texture.

Have you finished anything lately?

Secret painting project

For the past few weeks I have been working on a secret painting project.  It is now finished.

Ever heard of this game?  They have an official site with rules and everything!  Our daughter told us about the game and we thought it would be a great way to get everyone to play together from the two-year-olds on up.  It’s great for family reunions, tailgating, outdoor parties, or any time!

I bought the raw 2-foot by 4-foot plywood game boards already assembled sight unseen and decided to finish them myself.  The plywood was the worst I’ve seen and I think I overpaid (an understatement) for them.  They are solid construction-wise but the quality of the top was pretty poor.

I used an 8-oz. container of wood putty to get them semi-even then sanded them as smooth as I could before the painting on the primer.

Next was a base coat (or three) of white paint.

Then I taped around the edges and painted one blue and one yellow.

The final design with five coasts of polyacrylic.  No, those are not decals.  I painted the flying WV myself with the aid of painter’s tape and an Exacto knife.  Fortunately you can’t see the up-close and personal details.  They look great from a distance…there are “inconsistencies” when you get real close.

Now we just need a party!

Deep breath

Take a deep breath.  Hold it.

A little longer.

Slowly exhale.


I needed to clear my mind.  Thanks for breathing along with me.

2010 was a start for me as most years are.  I didn’t get as much of my life organized as I wanted but I made some progress.

I knitted more this year than I have in past years:

  1. Hot Water Bottle Covers: 2
  2. Toys: 5 – though I only have pictures of two of them
  3. Sweaters: 2 eyelet sweaters for the twins, 1 February Baby Sweater
  4. Seamless slippers: 7 pairs
  5. Sleeveless top: 1, the Lace Hem Top for me
  6. Mittens and mitts: 1 Ms Ida Chain Link Mittens, and 1 Musica Mitts
  7. Hats: 8 Spud and Chloe Go Team Hats

I made polymer clay buttons for a sweater.

I tried my hand at felt ornaments and finished two.

Sewing projects, not mentioned here, expanded my FO list.

I made my Christmas cards and garland for the tree.

And I painted my dining and living rooms.

Tomorrow is another day and the beginning of a shiny new year. 

What do I want to accomplish in the next 365 days?

What are your goals for 2011?

Ms Ida pictures

I gifted the Ms Ida Chain Link mittens to my sister and she sent me a picture of them.  For some reason I forget to take the pictures before I gift something.

Ms Ida Chain Link mittens

I followed the pattern (large) including the yarn and colors except I left off one diamond repeat on the thumb and it was plenty long.   My original plan was to make these flip top mittens but I was having such a time with the thumbs that we (my sister and I) decided the flip top wasn’t necessary.

I used Knit Picks City Tweed in Dungaree and Andean Silk in Cream.  I loved working with this yarn though it is sticky.  Just don’t make many mistakes to tink or frog.

Thinking I would make two pairs of these mittens, I bought another Andean Silk in cream and City Tweed in Cottontail that appears to be discontinued.  It’s a taupe color.  I’ll find something else to knit with it.