The ottoman

I finally finished the reupholstery projects I began last year.  I reupholstered two wingback chairs, one from my mother’s house and one from iPad aunt’s house.

My mother’s chair had a matching ottoman.

I didn’t like the way the top cushion was attached to the base as it was not secure and would wobble no matter how I many times I tried to straighten it.  

Plus it was too fiddly to try to recreate.

To give it the look of two cushions, I cut the side pieces a little bit longer than necessary and sewed a piece of cording about half way down.  Simple.

No progress pictures, just the final.

The Accidental redo

We’ve had such dark and dreary weather here for the past week so I decided to rip out the last part of the Accidental Shawl to the dropped stitch.  No point in waiting and forgetting the plan.  I also began to join the other colors sooner to make them blend in better.  The red is definitely a brighter shade than the original but I think it still works.

Instead of adding more eyelets (and doing the math so they would line up), I just increased stitches at regular intervals.  Then the last seven rows before binding off in a picot edge, I added two rows of eyelets without increasing the stitch count.  Meaning I would knit two together and do a yarn over (K2tog, YO).

The eyelets aren’t that noticeable since the yarn is variegated and I used a garter stitch throughout the shawl.

These two white stitches scared me at first as I thought I dropped another stitch.

But as you can see, it’s just a part of the dye (or lack of it) in that one section.

I’ll just weave in the ends and call it done!

The Accidental Shawl Part 2

Mr. Aitch and I are finally back home from an extended vacation out west.  Along the way, we stopped to visit friends and family.  While stuck on the Interstate due to an accident, I began knitting a shawl based on the beginning of the Kindness shawl.

I didn’t want to deal with constantly looking at my work so I changed from stockinette stitch to plain garter stitch.  For non-knitters that means I knit every row.

Mr. Aitch drove the entire trip (his choice) which meant that I could knit when not navigating or knitting the row with the eyelets and the row after.

I knit about one third to one half while away and finished it once we got back home.  

Good thing as I was running out of yarn and I had to dive into my stash for some coordinating colors to knit the last several rows.

The shawl took a bath yesterday for blocking when I realized that I wasn’t extremely happy with it.

The eyelets are way out of line below the green line.

Plus I dropped a stitch.  Didn’t see that until I started stretching it out for blocking.  You can see the wonky eyelets better below…along with the dropped stitch.

I might tink it back to the eyelet row (which includes the dropped stitch) and begin adding the coordinating yarns earlier since I already know I won’t have enough.  They would blend in better.

But for now, it’s going to hibernate.

 

 

New bag

My fellow blogger, Salpal1, made some curtains and I commented on the travel theme.  Mr. Aitch and I just got a new GPS  and I thought a travel-themed fabric would be great to sew up a case for it.  So Salpal sent me some of her leftover fabric.

I loved the names of the states but wait…

…no West Virginia!

That just can’t be.

So using fabric markers and some rubber stamps, I altered the one side (sorry Oklahoma) to get at least one West (by God) Virginia on the cover.

I measured the size of the GPS and added an inch to each side so it would be easier to get in and out, added a zipper, lining, doubled the fusible batting for protection and called it done.The back…

The inside…Then I decided to make another cover/case for the window attachment and cord and have it large enough so everything would fit inside for when we want to remove it all from the car and keep everything all together.  I adapted the size of this pattern and made it a bit smaller.  I didn’t have enough of the Route 66 Fabric so I pieced together some complementary fabric to make it large enough.

Side A.

Side B.

Um, one side.

Inside with just the attachments.

All included.Ready to go.

Thank you, Salpal, for the fabric scraps.  I love it and had fun making it.