New quilt

Mr. Aitch’s niece is expecting in July and I thought I’d make something as that’s what I do.  Her theme is woodlands, bears specifically.

The baby shower is later this month and knitting a blanket wasn’t going to happen so sewing something was quicker.

I bought this cute bear fabric (by Emma & Mila at Wal-Mart) and coordinating blues and grey for the top as well as some white tone-on-tone star fabric and star embossed grey minky.

The solid grey and pale teal blocks help transition between the two colors.

Machine sewn and quilted with an X secured the top and backing with a thin layer of batting between.

The finished quilt is 45 inches square.  The back looks metallic but that’s just how the light reflected off the furry surface.  I have more fabric left so I’m thinking of sewing a few accessories such as burp cloths and at least one box bag.  Any other suggestions?


Grandson sweater

Other than a couple of pairs of baby booties, I had not knit anything for our grandson, who turned one year old last month.

I knit sweaters for his twin sisters for Christmas 2013 and had enough yarn left over to knit a sweater for him.


I used Elizabeth Zimmerman’s February baby sweater on two needles but tweaked the pattern a bit by increasing the beginning stitch count to 70 stitches.

I also added buttons and button band down the the entire front and ribbing at the cuff.   \

Okay, so maybe I just used her outline for the increases at the top of her sweater to make this top-down raglan sleeved sweater.

Is this sweater different enough that I can post the pattern?

The yarn is Louet Gems 100% Merino Wool light/worsted weight, 100 g/175 yd.

I used two entire hanks of the Pewter and  part of a hank of the Linen.  I knit the sleeves until I ran out of yarn making the ribbing extra long so the cuff can be folded back or not.

The buttons are almost a perfect match.  Not that they need to match.  I preferred less contrast so the stripes would be stand out more.



L-sweater-Feb-2014I added satin ribbon to the button side to give the button band more stability.


Added the same ribbon to the buttonhole side and did machine buttonholes in the ribbon before hand sewing around each buttonhole to secure the ribbon to the sweater.


Of course I had to show the model.


He’s a sweetheart!


Felt ornaments

I made some felt ornaments a few weeks ago and never posted much (if anything) about them.  They are a bit puffy with some fiberfill but not too much, just enough to give them some dimension.

First up is the tree:


They look a bit blue but are really two shades of green, some coordinating floss and a few buttons.

Second, holly leaves and berries:


Same two colors of green, coordinating floss and some red pom poms.  I decided to machine stitch the lighter green instead of stem stitch as my stem stitch isn’t very good.  The pom poms were glued on.  You can see the glue but it did dry clear.  I’m thinking I should have secured them with a few stitches.  Time will tell if I need to do that.

Last are my favorite little birds:


I used to paint wooden ones and sell them though they had a bit more detail.  If I still have some left, I can show you my inspiration for the felt version.

The tree is the largest at about 4-5 inches tall.  The best thing is that they are unbreakable.  Perfect for curious little hands.



One fish, two fish, pink fish, blue fish…

Recently my daughter and I went to a baby shower for one of her close friends, Alicia.  Alicia is expecting twins sometime at the end of the year.

A girl, pink fish.

And a boy, blue fish.

The theme was Dr. Seuss.


We had Green (deviled)  Eggs, Ham (sandwiches), red (Swedish) fish, along with pasta salad, fresh fruit and cake.


The favors were ice cream scoops and HErSHEy bars.


My daughter found some cute Dr. Seuss bags at a big box store (sorry, no pictures of those) so we filled them with some handmade and store-bought goodies:  Burp cloths, Converse booties, box bags in Seuss fabric, books, toys, baby wipes, outfits, onesies, teething rings, pacifiers and clips, and lots more.

My daughter made “girl” burp cloths and I made “boy” burp cloths using my pattern.

I also sewed box bags using Dr. Seuss fabric.

The groom, ushers, and the rest of the men in Alicia’s wedding wore Converse shoes so I knit Converse booties, one in black and one in pink.  I adapted three different patterns to suit my patience level and ended up doing a duplicate stitch for the toe part.  I did not do laces as IMHO parents of newborns (let alone twins) don’t have time to mess with laces.  I found some star button and sewed them on a white disk of iron-on batting.  As usual, I ran out of time and was knitting in the car on the way to the shower.  But I got them finished in time.


You can see a small part of the bright blue Cat in the Hat box bag behind the booties.  And the blue and pink burp cloths jelly rolled around each other.