I washed the three 1898 hats to try to soften the acrylic yarn and it worked. Sort of.
They are somewhat softer and are good enough.
The green hat stitches evened out so the mess basically disappeared.
Most hotels offer hairdryers in their guest rooms. But many times when staying with family or friends, a hairdryer might not be available when you need it. So when Mr. Aitch and I traveled across the country this past summer, we bought a small hairdryer to take with us for those times when we didn’t stay in a hotel.
Cotton for the outside and a piece of heavy flannel for the inside. French seams keep it neat (no exposed seams). A piece of batting sandwiched between the outer and inner fabrics and/or quilting would offer more padding but I didn’t think of it at the time.
This will stay in our guest bathroom when we’re home but can go with us at a moments notice.
I finished the third in the series of striped 1898 hats.
This one is two shades of blue: a soft heathered medium blue (Wool-eze) and navy (Red Heart Super Saver). Same stripe sequence as the others though I only played yarn chicken with the first hat.
Oh, and I decided to follow Jude and Salpal’s advice. Leave the green hat as is and not be concerned with the wonky stitches. It IS for a child after all.
The 1898 cap is finished. Using the teal yarn, 84 stitches were picked up around the top of the headband part for the crown.
The strip sequence was:
4 rows, teal
1 row, black
3 rows, teal
2 rows, black
2 rows, teal
3 rows, black
1 row, teal
Finish with black
I won at yarn chicken this time with 50 inches of teal yarn left over.