FO Friday

FO = finished object

Yay!  One more pair of socks for the gift pile…or myself.

This is the Handmade Sock Society Season 2 first sock: Shell Cottage.  If you’ve ever knit anything from Helen Stewart, you know how well written her patterns are.  She lists each row and the stitch count so it’s easy to put down the project and pick it up again.  I still kept track of my rows on the sock foot so I could make they were both the same length.  I learned the hard way to count my rows rather than just measure the length as it is easy to stretch an item to make it fit (and hurry the knitting along).

The second sock in the series will be released next month.

Knit Picks Stroll fingering yarn in Basalt Heather, 69 grams.  Size #1 (2.25mm) needle.

I really like the texture.

Have you finished anything lately?

About Bloomin’ time

Bloomin’ socks are finished.  Even the ends are woven in.

The socks are mirror images on the top.

And on the bottom.

I lengthened the striped toe by six rows before the decreases so the toe tips would be less pointy.  They might loosen a bit once I soak them so they aren’t so square.

The heel is ok.  These are very sturdy but don’t have much give.

It’s amazing how I don’t see something until I photograph it.

I just realized that I did a k1, p1 rib on one sock top and a k2, p2 rib on the other one.  Oops!  These will be gifted to someone who appreciates handknits and will embrace such imperfections.

Coaster corral

While the Double Dot socks were hibernating waiting for me to address the twisted stitches, I whipped up a corral for all those coasters I couldn’t stop knitting last year.

I combined the coaster pattern and the Drops Farmer’s Delight basket patterns to coordinate with the two-tone coasters.  A provisional cast-on hides the seam.

I used four of the colors from the coasters for the corral, two blue shades, and two green.

The corral looks like a hat with a very deep brim that is folded down to cover the “wrong” side.

The bottom or wrong side doesn’t look that nice but it’s not seen even when empty.

This one holds approximately eight coasters and could be made it taller by adding more stitches for the sides/brim.

Double Dot socks

Thank you for coming up with names for the textured stitch!  I liked them all and went with stgeorgeknits name for the textured stitch: Double Dot Stitch.  Actually, that’s the name I thought of as well.

So the socks are finally finished!  And will be on their way to the recipient soon.  They almost match just like the first pair.

I still have some yarn left.  24 g (approx. 107 yards) of Beach House – the multi blue/teal and 22 g (approx. 98 yards) of the Hari Hari – grey.  (I’m so glad I bought that scale!)  

Two things I did differently were 1.) Twisted German aka Old Norwegian Cast-on and 2.) Eye of Partridge heel.

The cast-on is very stretchy or at least more so than the longtail cast-on that I usually use.  The Eye of Partridge heel is very similar to the “normal” heel flap but I wanted to try it so I did.  It looks more sophisticated.

So there we have it.  The Double Dot Sock.  I anyone is interested, I will be happy to write up the pattern.