I made some felt ornaments a few weeks ago and never posted much (if anything) about them. They are a bit puffy with some fiberfill but not too much, just enough to give them some dimension.
First up is the tree:
They look a bit blue but are really two shades of green, some coordinating floss and a few buttons.
Second, holly leaves and berries:
Same two colors of green, coordinating floss and some red pom poms. I decided to machine stitch the lighter green instead of stem stitch as my stem stitch isn’t very good. The pom poms were glued on. You can see the glue but it did dry clear. I’m thinking I should have secured them with a few stitches. Time will tell if I need to do that.
Last are my favorite little birds:
I used to paint wooden ones and sell them though they had a bit more detail. If I still have some left, I can show you my inspiration for the felt version.
The tree is the largest at about 4-5 inches tall. The best thing is that they are unbreakable. Perfect for curious little hands.
Progress on the felt ornaments. Here are the felt pieces with the freezer paper ironed on one side.
Felt and freezer paper
This was really easy to do. The iron was on a medium setting (permanent press without steam on my iron). Just keep the iron moving and made sure the steam is turned off. I drew right on the paper and cut the shapes out with regular scissors.
Paper side up
These are the two ornaments that I finished and I realize my embroidery skills aren’t the greatest. I’m not very happy with the tree. I was going for snow-covered branch tips and I think they look like cow udders or something else. It’s a bit too busy. You can also see the other shapes I have cut out so far.
Two down, many more to go
Here’s a close-up. The colors are deeper but I took what light I could get. There’s a little bit of fiber-fill between the pieces to give them some depth. I remembered to insert the ribbon to hang it before I did the blanket stitch all the way around.
Two done, many more to go
Another close-up of reverse side tis time. Those are tiny star sequins on the tree.
I’m not sure how much I will get done tonight. I still have the Musica mitts to finish. I did make another Spud and Chloe hat last evening. I must say that pattern is so quick and easy. I knit it in less than two hours using stash yarn. I still have the crochet edge and I-cords to do but those are relatively quick and easy, too.
So our Christmas tree is up but not decorated. I want to make some felt ornaments so the twins can help decorate the lower branches of the tree. I actually ventured out to a few stores Friday afternoon for some supplies. No Black Friday mobs in the afternoon.
Future felt ornaments
The white cutouts are some of my paper patterns that I’ll need to transfer to cardstock or thin plastic so I can reuse them. Not shown are assorted beads and embroidery floss.
Starting new projects always gets my heart pumping and my creative juices flowing. I have a few projects I need to finish before I dive into these…listed in no particular order:
1. Musica mitts: one down, one to go. Deadline: December 22. I’m using fingering weight yarn and think sport weight would have been better for a larger mitt.2. Three Spud & Chloe earflap hats: one finished, one waiting for strap, one waiting to get started. Deadline: December 10 for these two and December 22 for the third one.
Toddler size hats
3. Buttons for the above mentioned hats. Deadline December 9.4. Seamless slippers for Dr. Professor: finished except for sewing on the rest of the sole. Deadline: last week.
Teal and heather green seamless slippers
5. Soakers: One halfway finished, one still in a ball. Deadline: December 10.6. Ms Ida mittens: One thumb to go. Deadline: December 9 (though the recipient wanted them yesterday). This is an old progress picture.
Ms Ida CLM right palm
I must confess that these are not for the meek. For some reason I could not get the thumbs right so abandoned the pattern and figured out another way to decrease and keep in the pattern. Sort of…. If I’m brave, I’ll post a picture.