To-do list progress

Or maybe I should call this post my procrastination list.  The things I did because I didn’t want to do the things I needed to do.

To-Do List:

  1. Recover ottoman
  2. Clean basement
  3. Paint basement walls
  4. Reattach insulation to floor joists/ceiling in the basement
  5. Clean out walk-in closet
  6. Finish Bacardi Cardi
  7. Sew seams in Sunny Day top

Did-Instead List:

  1. Knit 2 Kindness Shawls (one, two)
  2. Knit Ka’ana Shawlette
  3. Knit top-down cardigan
  4. Sew travel bag for GPS
  5. Knit four face/washcloths
  6. Knit the Accidental Shawl
  7. Recover ottoman – Yes!  I can check this off the above list!!!
  8. Repaint outside door from the garage
  9. Repaint front door and trim

Ok – so I actually did one thing from the To-Do list.  I finally finished recovering the ottoman that went with one of the chairs that I reupholstered last summer.  The only reason that I didn’t do it last year was that it is just too cold in the basement during the winter months to do that kind of work. More on this project another day.

The face/washcloths were a gift along with some handmade soaps from West Virginia to my daughter-in-law that we met for the first time while on our vacation.  I forgot to take pictures of the ones I gave to her but they were similar to these. Picot Swirl Cloth in the small size.  

Repainting the outside doors were always in the back of my mind so when I saw that the paint was on sale for 40% off, I had to jump at that and buy some.  More on this project another day, too.

So do you follow your To-Do List or do you find something else to do because you don’t want/need to do them?

Down the tubes

I was cleaning up my knitting bag and had to come up with another plan for all my double-pointed needles (aka dpns).  I’m not a Magic Loop convert yet so most of my socks and other knitted-in-the-round items are made using dpns.

I know I bought some of these but I also inherited some.  In the beginning, the needles were safe and organized in the original cardboard packaging.  Then the packaging fell apart. 

The inherited needles were held together with rubber bands or tape (Gasp!).  Rubber bands deteriorate rather quickly and leave gunk on the needles.  And tape residue is sticky and rough. 

I made some holders from small paper envelopes and wrote the sizes on the front.  That worked for awhile but it wasn’t a fantastic solution. 

Enter these double point needle tubes*!  

I love them. 

Now my needles have a more secure home.  I cut out some circles (address labels), wrote the size and stuck them on the end so I can see at a glance what needle I have/need. 

The tubes are adjustable so they can accommodate shorter or longer needles.  I even keep some crochet hooks in one as every knitter sometimes needs one of those. 

They now live in the knitting bag of tools and supplies.

Sets of size 10 1/2 and above are too large to fit inside these tubes so until the Super Duper Sized tubes arrive, I will keep them in my make-shift holder. 

I’m not sure how I ended up with so many size 8 dpns.  But can one really have too many? 

*I received no compensation for this review.  I just like this product and thought you might, too.

Working outside

Mr. Aitch and I power washed, cleaned, and scrubbed the deck, deck furniture, and the patio umbrella last weekend.

We had a beautiful tree cut down last fall that overhung the deck as it was getting too big and close to the house. 

It provided a home for hummingbirds one summer and lots of shade but also lots of dirt.  Going to miss that shade.

You can see how close it was to the deck.  The branches were almost touching the back of the house.

I didn’t get a picture of the dirty umbrella when we began but this was a cheap nylon umbrella and for now, I just wanted it semi-clean. I ended up using some dishwasher detergent with bleach (I know that’s a no-no) until I ran out of it.  Had to save some for the dishes!  It’s not the best but it’s better than it was.

Now that the big oak tree isn’t hanging over the umbrella, maybe it won’t get as dirty.

I still need to get more plants.

Update for April and May 2017

Well, let’s see.  We are in the process of a kitchen remodel.  It should have been finished weeks ago but as always, something got back ordered.

Like the counter top.

The old counter top was cobbled together so we could use our kitchen until the new one arrives.

So we have the before…

…during…

…and still during but making progress.

The island has been refaced and the range and microwave replaced. Next up: new counter tops, sink/faucet, crown molding and back splash. The entire remodel sparked a cleaning and decluttering frenzy in our house so some of my other projects took a back seat to cleaning, painting and general chaos.

I’m also recovering from a bout of pneumonia.