To-do list progress

Or maybe I should call this post my procrastination list.  The things I did because I didn’t want to do the things I needed to do.

To-Do List:

  1. Recover ottoman
  2. Clean basement
  3. Paint basement walls
  4. Reattach insulation to floor joists/ceiling in the basement
  5. Clean out walk-in closet
  6. Finish Bacardi Cardi
  7. Sew seams in Sunny Day top

Did-Instead List:

  1. Knit 2 Kindness Shawls (one, two)
  2. Knit Ka’ana Shawlette
  3. Knit top-down cardigan
  4. Sew travel bag for GPS
  5. Knit four face/washcloths
  6. Knit the Accidental Shawl
  7. Recover ottoman – Yes!  I can check this off the above list!!!
  8. Repaint outside door from the garage
  9. Repaint front door and trim

Ok – so I actually did one thing from the To-Do list.  I finally finished recovering the ottoman that went with one of the chairs that I reupholstered last summer.  The only reason that I didn’t do it last year was that it is just too cold in the basement during the winter months to do that kind of work. More on this project another day.

The face/washcloths were a gift along with some handmade soaps from West Virginia to my daughter-in-law that we met for the first time while on our vacation.  I forgot to take pictures of the ones I gave to her but they were similar to these. Picot Swirl Cloth in the small size.  

Repainting the outside doors were always in the back of my mind so when I saw that the paint was on sale for 40% off, I had to jump at that and buy some.  More on this project another day, too.

So do you follow your To-Do List or do you find something else to do because you don’t want/need to do them?

Working outside

Mr. Aitch and I power washed, cleaned, and scrubbed the deck, deck furniture, and the patio umbrella last weekend.

We had a beautiful tree cut down last fall that overhung the deck as it was getting too big and close to the house. 

It provided a home for hummingbirds one summer and lots of shade but also lots of dirt.  Going to miss that shade.

You can see how close it was to the deck.  The branches were almost touching the back of the house.

I didn’t get a picture of the dirty umbrella when we began but this was a cheap nylon umbrella and for now, I just wanted it semi-clean. I ended up using some dishwasher detergent with bleach (I know that’s a no-no) until I ran out of it.  Had to save some for the dishes!  It’s not the best but it’s better than it was.

Now that the big oak tree isn’t hanging over the umbrella, maybe it won’t get as dirty.

I still need to get more plants.

Update for April and May 2017

Well, let’s see.  We are in the process of a kitchen remodel.  It should have been finished weeks ago but as always, something got back ordered.

Like the counter top.

The old counter top was cobbled together so we could use our kitchen until the new one arrives.

So we have the before…

…during…

…and still during but making progress.

The island has been refaced and the range and microwave replaced. Next up: new counter tops, sink/faucet, crown molding and back splash. The entire remodel sparked a cleaning and decluttering frenzy in our house so some of my other projects took a back seat to cleaning, painting and general chaos.

I’m also recovering from a bout of pneumonia.

 

An easy fix

In my previous post you saw the broken top of a hanging shoe holder. This is how I repaired it.

101-shoe-closet

All the materials were found around the house.  And by house, I mean the basement.  Didn’t have to but anything for this fix.

We (and I mean me) saved pieces of the hardwood flooring we had installed in the last decade.  Those pieces have come in handy over the years.  Some pieces are damaged such as the tongue was split or the piece was too skinny or narrow on one end but were saved anyway.  So I dug through the dwindling pile and found two pieces that were almost the correct length of the shoe holder.

102-shoe-closet

One piece was about an inch too long so I cut it with a hack saw.  We (and I mean me) need a circular saw and a chop saw but that’s beside the point.  Gotta use what’s available, right?  I sanded the rough edges.  Didn’t want anyone to get cut or a splinter in their hands/fingers once it was in place.  The finished side of the flooring is facing down.

I found some small pieces of pine also left over from another project for the cross-pieces and cut them to the width of the shoe holder.

103-shoe-closet

Drilled holes through the cross-pieces to prevent the wood from splitting, down through the broken plastic and into the piece of flooring.  The cross-pieces were close to the hanger part as that would get the most pull when hanging.

104-shoe-closet

Since I only had ten screws, I just used one cross-piece on each side of the hanger.  I might get more screws for more cross pieces for each end to make it more secure.

105-shoe-closet

Ta-da!

106-shoe-closet

The finished repair.  Not pretty but it works.

107-shoe-closet