Quick knit

I picked up this ball of Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle last week because:

  1. It looked interesting
  2. I needed something different to knit
  3. I might actually use it

Following the ball band pattern, I cast 27 stitches onto US #8 needles.  I slipped the first stitch of every row to make the edges neater and knit 40 rows before binding off.  90 minutes later I had one finished.

Approximately 6-inches square, each one used about 14 grams of yarn so this one ball should yield about six scrubbies.

I’ll let you know how I like/use it.

 

Hey

I’m still here.  I haven’t knit one stitch since Monday.  Mr. Aitch’s niece is expecting in July and the baby shower is next month so I’ve got a pair of baby booties on the needles.

Anyway, I’ve been working in our walk-in closet this week making a double hang section for clothes where a single hang section is now.  No eyes have been poked out nor fingers lost so it’s a win-win so far.  Sorry, no work-in-progress pics of anything.  Maybe next week.

Have a great weekend!

Working outside

Mr. Aitch and I power washed, cleaned, and scrubbed the deck, deck furniture, and the patio umbrella last weekend.

We had a beautiful tree cut down last fall that overhung the deck as it was getting too big and close to the house. 

It provided a home for hummingbirds one summer and lots of shade but also lots of dirt.  Going to miss that shade.

You can see how close it was to the deck.  The branches were almost touching the back of the house.

I didn’t get a picture of the dirty umbrella when we began but this was a cheap nylon umbrella and for now, I just wanted it semi-clean. I ended up using some dishwasher detergent with bleach (I know that’s a no-no) until I ran out of it.  Had to save some for the dishes!  It’s not the best but it’s better than it was.

Now that the big oak tree isn’t hanging over the umbrella, maybe it won’t get as dirty.

I still need to get more plants.

An easy fix

In my previous post you saw the broken top of a hanging shoe holder. This is how I repaired it.

101-shoe-closet

All the materials were found around the house.  And by house, I mean the basement.  Didn’t have to but anything for this fix.

We (and I mean me) saved pieces of the hardwood flooring we had installed in the last decade.  Those pieces have come in handy over the years.  Some pieces are damaged such as the tongue was split or the piece was too skinny or narrow on one end but were saved anyway.  So I dug through the dwindling pile and found two pieces that were almost the correct length of the shoe holder.

102-shoe-closet

One piece was about an inch too long so I cut it with a hack saw.  We (and I mean me) need a circular saw and a chop saw but that’s beside the point.  Gotta use what’s available, right?  I sanded the rough edges.  Didn’t want anyone to get cut or a splinter in their hands/fingers once it was in place.  The finished side of the flooring is facing down.

I found some small pieces of pine also left over from another project for the cross-pieces and cut them to the width of the shoe holder.

103-shoe-closet

Drilled holes through the cross-pieces to prevent the wood from splitting, down through the broken plastic and into the piece of flooring.  The cross-pieces were close to the hanger part as that would get the most pull when hanging.

104-shoe-closet

Since I only had ten screws, I just used one cross-piece on each side of the hanger.  I might get more screws for more cross pieces for each end to make it more secure.

105-shoe-closet

Ta-da!

106-shoe-closet

The finished repair.  Not pretty but it works.

107-shoe-closet