No yarn in my (growing) stash would work so I gathered a bare skein of Knit Picks Stroll fingering weight yarn, my Crockpot, vinegar, and food coloring for another dye session. This time I used green, yellow, and black for some soft greens that turn into deep greens. The yellow happened with one or two drops directly onto the hot yarn in the dye bath. The black broke into red and purple and added a nice contrast to the greens. I don’t really follow a recipe for the colors as I only dye one to two skeins at a time and it’s so random that I’d never be able to reproduce any of the colors again.
This pattern has a toe-up construction and that is new for me. All of my socks have been knit from the cuff down. But I was interested in learning something new. Judy’s Magic Cast-On took me over two hours to get right while reviewing written instructions and numerous videos and another hour to knit the first round! Of course, I was using double pointed needles and not circulars as suggested but I used what I had.
Not bad for my first attempt, well, my first foray into this technique as I attempted it many, many, many times!
Then came the actual textured pattern that is on the top of the foot and up the leg. After two pattern repeats I’m not liking it. Not liking it at all. The “star” in the reverse stockinette area just looks like a mess to me. And it’s lumpy.
I don’t think these would be comfortable to wear with the lumps even though they are only on the top of the foot. Several others mentioned that as well.
The inside (wrong side) looks better.
The bottom is beautiful. I love those greens!
I’m not going to rip out that three-hour toe! I will ladder down to the star stitch on the front and do some other stitch that isn’t lumpy or bumpy. Just as soon as I figure out which stitch to do.
I had not gotten enough use out of Dorothy’s Slipped-Stitch Spiral Knit Sock pattern so I offered to knit a very good friend a pair of socks at no charge if I could use part of my stash. She just moved from South Carolina to a more northern climate and might need some warm socks this winter. She really liked the slipped-stitch spiral socks that I knit (#1, #2, #3, and #4) so I sent her a picture of some of my yarn stash She picked one variegated color and I chose something that would complement it. Red would have been awesome (and very bright) as would purple but she is partial to blue so blue was it. Plus I knew I had enough of it in my stash…
These two colors were very tame and refreshing to use after the flurry of patterns and stripes in the other four pairs of socks. The Knit Picks Stroll solid heather blue (Dusk) really accentuates the striping down the leg while also toning down the brightness of the Sockotta yarn.
Look at the heel to get a better idea of the intensity of the red, blue, green and purple colors. Those would be some very wild socks!
I included two yards of each yarn for when a repair is needed down the road.
Continuing on with Dorothy’s Slipped Stitch Spiral knit sock pattern, I bring you a tri-color pair.
Yarns used: Soles & More in the green/blue colorway, Trekking XXL color 803 (orange/purple/brown), and Reggio exclusive self-striping yarn in primary colors #705.
I managed to get three pairs of socks out of the Trekking yarn and I still have some left over. I needed ball number two of two balls of the Soles & More to complete the second sock in this pair and have plenty leftover for another pair. One ball of the Reggio was plenty for this pattern. I still have another one.
I love this pattern. (Can you tell?!) It’s interesting to see how the colors play with each other and when each color or pattern changes. Plus I’m using up yarn that I bought years ago thinking I would like the colors/patterning but realizing that that wasn’t the case.
The Reggio was self-striping and the colors were not equally divided stripes so one sock has more red than the other. I suppose I could have cut the yarn when I started the heel so the red would be more dominant on the foot but since the stripes and patterns weren’t going to match up anyway, I decided not to change it. Weaving in another loose end was also a factor.
I’ve got ANOTHER pair on my needles! Using three colors: two self striping and one self-patterning. You’ve seen two of the colorways but I’ve added a different third one for this next pair.