Mirrored

Sometimes printed patterns look fine as they are and sometimes better when mirrored.  I decided to make my Bloomin’ socks mirror images and printed the charts in reverse.

I pulled up the leg chart in Photoshop and flipped it so the bloom pattern is reversed.  Original chart is at the top and the reversed chart at the bottom.

Then I did the same for the gusset and foot chart.  Original chart is at the bottom and the reversed chart at the top.

I might have to tweak the gusset a bit when I begin the decreases but I’m sure everything will work out fine.

And the nine-inch circular needles are a dream!!

Do you prefer identical patterns on both the left and right sock or mitt or would you rather they mirror each other?

 

Bloomin’ socks

I don’t know how I got sucked down the Ravelry hole but it doesn’t really matter.  If you’ve ever searched for something, you can understand how one thing leads to another to another and so on and so on. I resurfaced with a project: Latvian Bloom Socks by Dela Hausmann.  The graph for the colorwork is marked in four sections which would correspond to four double-point needles (dpn) containing 18 stitches each.  See my little paper tags attached to the sock section??

Using Knit Picks Stroll in Ash, Black and Bare, I’m already into the foot section.

I prefer to knit with dpn but notice that my colorwork stitches pucker a bit when I switch from dpn to the next.  I try to keep the yarn that is carried across the back as loose as possible without going overboard.  I even knit inside out but I like to look at my progress and I didn’t want to fiddle with turning it right side out and back again.  It’s too easy to lose stitches that way.

It’s slow going.  I tried Magic Loop but my 24″ circular needle isn’t really long enough for that technique and the 16″ is too long for the circumference of the sock.  So I tried to use both needles by knitting a round on one then when back at the beginning of that round, I use the second needle to knit the next round to make a sort of flexible needle. Unfortunately, the straight part of the 24″ needle is too long to keep the sock in a comfortable circle.  I’m not sure if I’ve explained that correctly.  Trust me, it’s not relaxing.

Since switching to circular needles, I still needed to follow the graph which is laid out by needle (1, 2, 3, and 4).  I made some stitch markers to remind me what needle I’m working with: one bead for needle #1, 2 beads for needle #2, 3 beads for needle #3, and 4 beads for needle #4.  This little trick works for me.

Anyway, I ordered some 9-inch US #1 (2.25 mm) and US #1.5 (2.50 mm) circular needles.  They should arrive today.   I’ll let you know how this all works out.

Coaster corral

While the Double Dot socks were hibernating waiting for me to address the twisted stitches, I whipped up a corral for all those coasters I couldn’t stop knitting last year.

I combined the coaster pattern and the Drops Farmer’s Delight basket patterns to coordinate with the two-tone coasters.  A provisional cast-on hides the seam.

I used four of the colors from the coasters for the corral, two blue shades, and two green.

The corral looks like a hat with a very deep brim that is folded down to cover the “wrong” side.

The bottom or wrong side doesn’t look that nice but it’s not seen even when empty.

This one holds approximately eight coasters and could be made it taller by adding more stitches for the sides/brim.

Double Dot socks

Thank you for coming up with names for the textured stitch!  I liked them all and went with stgeorgeknits name for the textured stitch: Double Dot Stitch.  Actually, that’s the name I thought of as well.

So the socks are finally finished!  And will be on their way to the recipient soon.  They almost match just like the first pair.

I still have some yarn left.  24 g (approx. 107 yards) of Beach House – the multi blue/teal and 22 g (approx. 98 yards) of the Hari Hari – grey.  (I’m so glad I bought that scale!)  

Two things I did differently were 1.) Twisted German aka Old Norwegian Cast-on and 2.) Eye of Partridge heel.

The cast-on is very stretchy or at least more so than the longtail cast-on that I usually use.  The Eye of Partridge heel is very similar to the “normal” heel flap but I wanted to try it so I did.  It looks more sophisticated.

So there we have it.  The Double Dot Sock.  I anyone is interested, I will be happy to write up the pattern.