I wanted a short sport-type sock with support around the arch. Not finding any patterns available, I decided to try to develop one myself. Over the weekend I finished the first shortie sock and learned a few things about pattern making. It’s not as easy as one might think! There are lots of trials, successes, and errors. This sock pattern is no exception.
First of all the cuff needs to be tighter. It’s the twisted rib: knit one through the back loop, purl one, repeat. (k1tbl, p1, repeat to end of row) It’s not too loose but it’s not very snug either. Perhaps a smaller needle… I also see a huge gap where the heel begins. Oops!
The arch ribbing is also not firm/tight enough around my foot and could begin right after the gusset stitches, if not sooner. I used a US #0 for that part which is the smallest needle I have. I ordered three more of the nine-inch circular needles last week: US #0, US #00, and a US #000. Hopefully one of those will work better. Plus I might switch to the twisted rib the way the cuff is knitted to tighten up that section.
I tried a new-to-me toe that fits really well. It’s a basic round toe in which the toe stitches are decreased every few stitches all around the toe instead of just at the sides. Maybe my sister (Yes, Jude, I’m referring to you!) will like the looks of it better than the usual wedge toe in most patterns.
So I’m not giving up. I will be making some modifications in the next attempt.