Working outside

Mr. Aitch and I power washed, cleaned, and scrubbed the deck, deck furniture, and the patio umbrella last weekend.

We had a beautiful tree cut down last fall that overhung the deck as it was getting too big and close to the house. 

It provided a home for hummingbirds one summer and lots of shade but also lots of dirt.  Going to miss that shade.

You can see how close it was to the deck.  The branches were almost touching the back of the house.

I didn’t get a picture of the dirty umbrella when we began but this was a cheap nylon umbrella and for now, I just wanted it semi-clean. I ended up using some dishwasher detergent with bleach (I know that’s a no-no) until I ran out of it.  Had to save some for the dishes!  It’s not the best but it’s better than it was.

Now that the big oak tree isn’t hanging over the umbrella, maybe it won’t get as dirty.

I still need to get more plants.

Robin redbreast

I went out to get the oil changed in my car the other day and when I got back, Mr. Aitch told me that he or rather the house was being attacked by a very persistent robin.

First, the robin would knock on the front door.  Then go to the door to the deck and do the “shave-and-a-hair-cut two-bits” rapping.  It was driving Mr. Aitch crazy!

I witnessed the knocking on the front door soon after I got home so I investigated the door.

The #@*% bird had done his business all over my hanging basket/door decor.  I immediately took it down along with the hook that held it thinking that would keep the bird from attacking the door window.

Not a chance.

So I sent my brother, sister, and sister-in-law the following text:

 

Then I sent an explanation that we were also enjoying a wine, cheese, ham and cracker lunch…

 

 

 

…and the following picture:

So far it’s working.  And no bird droppings on the king of the jungle guarding our front door.

Chairs

Both chairs are finished.  The colors aren’t that true and I can’t seem to get the right adjustments to make them more realistic.  The yellowish-green is more of a chartreuse green and the blues have more depth.

Rita’s chair: Done!  This is now my knitting chair as it sits in the corner.

And here it is in front of the window.  iPad Aunt’s chair resides there now.

iPad Aunt’s chair: Done but not happy with the cushion.  I didn’t wrap the new foam in Dacron before stuffing it into the cover.  It looks too boxy and I need to fix that.  Plus the seat cushion looks too big for the chair but it’s not that way in real life.

Both chairs side-by-side.  You can see that they are very similar but different.  Rita’s chair has a lower part on the bottom front, straight-arm stump, and is a smaller chair.  iPad Aunt’s chair is straight across the bottom front, has a curved arm stump, and is a wider chair.

I tried very hard to get the patterns to match up on both chairs but it was very difficult.  The pattern was 24 inch vertical repeat so I tried not to waste fabric.

I am in the process of redoing the ottoman that matches Rita’s chair but that is on hold for now.  Too many irons in the fire.