I’m rushing this final part and as a result it’s been ripped apart twice. And now for a third time.
I’m following the original cushion construction and taking a shortcut that the manufacturer took by skipping a step.
Instead of making a separate welting cord, they sewed the cording for the welting into the gusset and then sewed the gusset to the top and bottom.
Matching the top and bottom with the gusset in between is a challenge when the gusset is stiff due to the welting. I’m not getting clean corners.
See how the fabric weave is not on the straight grain? That’s a big problem. So I’m ripping it out. Again. And will make welting cord the right way and sew it onto the top and bottom of the cushion cover. Then I’ll sew the gusset by marking each corner.
As my grandmother used to say, “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.” Sorry Gram, it’s taking me three times to remember that.
I’m recovering/reupholstering two chairs right now. This one once resided in my mom’s house then iPad aunt acquired it. And now I have it.
My first thought was to recover it in denim and send it to my daughter for her son’s bedroom. Then I told her about it. She liked the idea but not the fabric. So I asked her to pick out fabric and I’d recover it for her.
Well, two years later and no decision on fabric, I mentioned (OK, told her) that with the time, effort, cost of materials and shipping it to Colorado that she and her husband could get something that they really liked. And I wanted to keep the chairs for myself.
So here is the chair after staining the legs darker, striping it down to the frame, and adding new padding and muslin layer. The foam padding was deteriorating and needed to go. Once I add more cotton or Dacron padding (no foam except for the seat cushion), the final fabric and sew the new seat cushion cover, I can begin the second chair. And the matching ottoman.
Have I ever done this before? No, but I watched about a hundred YouTube videos on the process, took several hundred photos of my progress along the way and decided that I have enough brains and skill to attempt this project. Time will tell. So stay tuned….
Well, let’s see. We are in the process of a kitchen remodel. It should have been finished weeks ago but as always, something got back ordered.
Like the counter top.
The old counter top was cobbled together so we could use our kitchen until the new one arrives.
So we have the before…
…and still during but making progress.
The island has been refaced and the range and microwave replaced. Next up: new counter tops, sink/faucet, crown molding and back splash. The entire remodel sparked a cleaning and decluttering frenzy in our house so some of my other projects took a back seat to cleaning, painting and general chaos.
Everyone else is jumping on the New Year’s bandwagon, so why not join them?
2016 included more travel than I’ve done in any other year, home improvements, lots of sewing and knitting and many, many other things not blogged about.
2017 will be the year to finally get my house organized and updated with new carpeting (hopefully), paint rooms that have not seen a paintbrush since we first painted twenty-plus years ago, travel, revamp the staircase, and knit and sew more for others.
Also on the list is to reupholster six, count ’em six, chairs…four of which will go to Colorado.
I want to pick up my calligraphy pen again and make cards and envelopes exciting again.
On a personal note I will work toward becoming more positive and less negative, clean up my vocabulary/mouth, give more of myself to others, exercise more, eat less and get rid of 40 pounds of fat.