Way back in February I started a pair of socks with nylon yarn (Berroco Comfort Sock) for a dear person who can’t wear wool. Since I was in love with Dorothy’s Slipped Stitch Spiral Knit Sock pattern and knit 7-8 pairs of those socks, I tried it with this yarn but I wasn’t happy with the result. So I ripped it all out and let it sleep in my knitting basket until I was ready once again to deal with it. You can read about that February experience here. Many of you dear readers suggested I step away from it for a day or two. Several months seemed to work much better for me.
Last week Mr. Aitch and I went to New York City on a bus trip. I needed a simple, portable knitting project so I cast on the very same yarns for the very same pattern mentioned above and got the ribbing and part of the leg underway before we boarded the bus.
And I was fine with the colors this time. I used the grey (Hari Hari) as the main/slipped stitch color and heel. Beach House is the contrast yarn.
Maybe I just needed to take a break from the bright, vivid colors I had been using for that sock pattern to tackle the soft, subdued colors of these two yarns. And having just finished the grey cardi, I was in the neutral color zone.
It doesn’t really matter what the reason is, I’m just glad to get these socks on the needles. I turned the heel before we arrived home. Only eight more rows till I begin the toe shaping then on to the second sock.
Oh, and by the way, these socks are not a Christmas present. Whew!
You can read about all the socks I’ve knit from this pattern here 1, here 2, here 3, here 4, here 5, and here 6+7.
I finished the grey cardi and something’s not right with the button band at the neckline. Blocking will not correct that.
It’s too, I don’t know, angular. Too out there. Plus it sticks up too far from the top button marked with the yellow stitch marker.
The button band begins at one bottom edge, goes up to the neckline and continues around to the opposite side and back down to the bottom edge. A total of 304+ stitches!
I did a kfb (knit in the front and back) of the stitch before the turn at the neckline and after to keep the corner from puckering. I don’t like how it looks so I will rip out the last few rows of the button band and try to make that turn less sharp and more rounded. Or move the buttonholes.
Then I can block it and find some buttons for the win.
I’ve been working on another top-down cardigan for myself following the same outline as the one I knit last April/May. Yeah, the one that is too large but is still in sweater form. I thought that it might fit better over a heavier turtleneck, however, I was wrong. That sweater will be ripped apart and remade. Someday.
Anyway, I bought enough of this Red Heart Tweed yarn ages ago* (maybe 15-18 years ago?) and tried to knit myself a sweater. I loved the tweedy bits of aqua, purple, yellow and orange mixed in with the various shades of grey and white.
I did a gauge swatch and it was off and thought that it didn’t matter all that much. It did. It was too small. The yarn was turned back into balls and remained in the stash until I could face it again. So I decided to try another top-down cardi after I knit another gauge swatch. Yes, I did.
Most of the body is knit though I’m waiting to see how long I can make it once the sleeves are finished. One sleeve is done and I tried it on. Too tight. I fudged a bit on the decreases as I thought the sleeves might be too loose and once again, I was wrong. So I’ll be ripping back to the first decrease and FOLLOWING THE #@&% DIRECTIONS!
* way before I became a yarn snob
I washed the three 1898 hats to try to soften the acrylic yarn and it worked. Sort of.
They are somewhat softer and are good enough.
The green hat stitches evened out so the mess basically disappeared.
Ready to gift.