BFF knitted cap

I loved knitting the 1898 cap so I knit another one in shades of grey.  Just because.

My BFF read about the cap and I offered to knit one for her if I could use yarn from my ever-expanding stash.

She is so not a grey person and picked the blue variegated one (second from the right).

As so another quick knit was born in three days.

The yarn is Cascade 220 Paints and I love the color BUT it pools terribly for this needle size and stitch count.  Pooling means that the colors  group together in pools rather than float nicely around the item.  Sometimes it’s a good thing and sometimes not.  I wanted the colors play together and not be antisocial and cling together.

The headband is knit first and I really liked the way the colors spread but then when I began the crown part, I was not too happy with the way they didn’t as you can see below.  If that would have happened on the front instead of the back, it would have been fine.

I ripped the crown apart and tried to knit with both ends to get rid of the pooling but I was not successful.  I had a similar solid light blue in my stash so I randomly knit a row here and there to break it up.

Colorful?

Yes!  Win-win!

1898 finished

Another finished project – the 1898 cap is off the needles and ready for gifting.

As you may recall I overdyed some purple yarn with food coloring and vinegar because the color was too bright and I could change it.

Loving these colors!

I used a bright green one the back part of the headband so the recipient could tell the front from the back.  The back is smaller than the front by design but it’s just easier to tell the difference with a bright, visual clue.

Mr. Aitch (reluctantly) modeled for me.  He will find this under the Christmas tree next month.

The doubled headband was easy to knit and will really keep the ears warm.

Now should I add a pompom to the top?

Another overdye

I started with this yarn: Cleckheaton Country 8-ply 100% washable wool in a very beautiful purple color.  But not for a man or at least not the men I know and would knit for.

Enter food coloring, vinegar, squirt bottles and a microwave.

I decided to dye all three of the full skeins that I had because I didn’t think I would use the yarn as it was.  And because I wanted to.

I used basically the same process as I did here.  You can do an internet search for other methods.  After soaking the yarn in a vinegar bath for about 30 minutes, I alternated squirting the dye between shades of blue, shades of green, and a mixture of both. (Sorry no pictures of the process.)  I didn’t want a solid color so I squirted some parts with just the green, some with the blue, and some with a combo of both.

Once completely saturated the yarn was wrapped in plastic, placed in a glass casserole dish and nuked for two minutes, rested for two minutes and so on for about four sessions total.

The yarn was rinsed after it cooled until the water ran clear and colorless.

Here it is after it dried. This reminds me of the ocean…blues, greens and a bit of the purple shows through.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I couldn’t wait to begin another project.  This time it’s the 1898 hat by Kristin Byrnes as posted on the Christmas at Sea|The Seamen’s Church Institute website.  Scroll down on the linked page for many free patterns.  I should be able to knit two hats with the amount of yarn that I overdyed.

Most of my wool yarn is not machine washable but I might need to change that…