I’m in the process of knitting another pair of socks using the same Berroco Comfort yarn. By knitting with the two different balls of yarn at the same time, the yarn goes much farther. Plus each 100-gram ball consists of 447 yards which is plenty for one pair of socks let alone two.
I knew I wanted to obscure the bold striping pattern again in the Beach House color and try something different from the other eight pairs I knit in the past. I tried Hermione’s Everyday sock pattern and it’s a great pattern but there was not enough texture/mixing up for me with this yarn.
So I played with the knit and purl sequence and came up with this pattern. It might already exist in the textured stitch world but here it is:
The subdued Hari Hari color was used for the odd rounds and Beach House for the even. The striping sequence is still prominent but the texture adds another dimension.
I like it.
If you’ve seen or used this textured stitch and know the name of it, do tell in the comments.
Yes, I realize there are still six days (including today) left of the year though I’m pretty sure I won’t finish any knitting projects between now and January 1st. Especially since I only have one on the needles and it’s been in a timeout for a l-o-n-g time.
In fact, I’m desperately trying to find a project I can work on.
I liked the yarn, however, the bluish-grey color was not a continuous ball. I found four, count ’em, FOUR knots with cut ends and I didn’t even use the entire ball! Good thing a continuous color was not integral to the pattern.
I was lucky to semi-match the brighter color ball between the pair so the two socks almost match.
Gotta get them ready to mail.
PS I hope you all had a peaceful, loud, calm, joyful, bright Christmas.
Way back in February I started a pair of socks with nylon yarn (Berroco Comfort Sock) for a dear person who can’t wear wool. Since I was in love with Dorothy’s Slipped Stitch Spiral Knit Sock pattern and knit 7-8 pairs of those socks, I tried it with this yarn but I wasn’t happy with the result. So I ripped it all out and let it sleep in my knitting basket until I was ready once again to deal with it. You can read about that February experience here. Many of you dear readers suggested I step away from it for a day or two. Several months seemed to work much better for me.
Last week Mr. Aitch and I went to New York City on a bus trip. I needed a simple, portable knitting project so I cast on the very same yarns for the very same pattern mentioned above and got the ribbing and part of the leg underway before we boarded the bus.
And I was fine with the colors this time. I used the grey (Hari Hari) as the main/slipped stitch color and heel. Beach House is the contrast yarn.
Maybe I just needed to take a break from the bright, vivid colors I had been using for that sock pattern to tackle the soft, subdued colors of these two yarns. And having just finished the grey cardi, I was in the neutral color zone.
It doesn’t really matter what the reason is, I’m just glad to get these socks on the needles. I turned the heel before we arrived home. Only eight more rows till I begin the toe shaping then on to the second sock.
Oh, and by the way, these socks are not a Christmas present. Whew!
I finished the grey cardi and something’s not right with the button band at the neckline. Blocking will not correct that.
It’s too, I don’t know, angular. Too out there. Plus it sticks up too far from the top button marked with the yellow stitch marker.
The button band begins at one bottom edge, goes up to the neckline and continues around to the opposite side and back down to the bottom edge. A total of 304+ stitches!
I did a kfb (knit in the front and back) of the stitch before the turn at the neckline and after to keep the corner from puckering. I don’t like how it looks so I will rip out the last few rows of the button band and try to make that turn less sharp and more rounded. Or move the buttonholes.
Then I can block it and find some buttons for the win.