Here is my first secret project. These are in the mail and I don’t think my friend reads this blog.
I used acrylic yarn and attached soles made from leftover scraps of “replacement” carpet used in Mr. Aitch’s truck. I got the carpet from a Big Box store and it is thin enough to cut with regular scissors, to sew with regular needle and thread without hurting the hands, and wears very well.
I have tried using wools and acrylic yarn and I don’t notice a difference in wear so I used what I had. I did knit a pair for Mr. Aitch with one strand of acrylic and one strand of wool and hemp blend. He hasn’t worn them yet and I am curious how the hemp will hold up.
I L.O.V.E. this pattern. It is seamless. I used two worsted weights yarns held together and size US 9 needles since that’s what I had available. I usually use US 8 needles but they were in some other UFO. The only other modification I do is repeat Rows 3-6 one more time so I have 13 stitches. I pick up 11 stitches on each side. I don’t like short sides as they seem to fall off my feet. By doing this, I change the total stitch count. I’ll write it up and post it in my pattern tab. The pom poms are a bit thin as I ran out of yarn. Plus it’s been ages since I made pom poms and forgot how much yarn they use!
My grandmother made similar slippers but they were flat and you had to sew the back and top seams. And since I’m all about no seaming, these were perfect.