My tag line says “Finding the right balance between life and clutter.” I’m off balance.
We observed Columbus Day yesterday so I was home. (Thanks, Chris.) I so desperately wanted to post at least one tutorial, clean off the kitchen island, organize my current knitting corner. I failed at all attempts. I did wash my car and motorcycle.
My Garter Stitch bag is complete except for the straps (I-cord takes me a long time to do) and the lining. I’m still debating on the fabric. I tried to make a tutorial on lining this bag and spent far too much time
failing redeveloping my idea. I’m about halfway done on the first one.
Nothing was working out.
I’m off balance.
It’s that time of year when I start to feel overwhelmed with clutter. I try to declutter but it never seems like I’m doing enough. I’m constantly being pulled between what I want to do and what I should do.
I want to:
- make Christmas ornaments
- repaint the family room, kitchen, guest room #2, three bathrooms, the master bedroom
- buy and install a closet organizer
- get crown molding in the living and dining rooms
- hire someone to make my craft room
- display my mother’s dishes that are still in boxes from 2007
I need to do:
- laundry – it’s the putting away that drags me down
- iron Mr. Aitch’s shirts
- wash dishes – somethings just have to be washed by hand
- find the right piece of furniture to display my mother’s dishes
- organize my craft stuff: yarns, wood, paints, fabric, threads, paper, glue, beads
I don’t want to do but have to do:
- file papers – seriously I have 4 file boxes of papers that need filed
- clean out the closets – will I ever get back into those size X suits? Will they still be in style?
- clean out the pantry
- clean out the basement – full of stuff I “might” need
- Get. Rid. Of. Stuff. Tied. To. Emotions.
That list is what gets me overwhelmed. I was reading Laurie Perry’s (Crazy Aunt Purl) post from last week and can really relate to her decluttering mind-set. Defcon 1, 2, 3.
I am a crafter and I keep things that I can use. Is it ok to keep these things as long as I organize them? A place for everything and everything in its place?
Can I tackle/declutter one drawer, shelf, flat surface, box, or pile and do it for 15 minutes a day? Can I commit to this every day?