My tag line says “Finding the right balance between life and clutter.” I’m off balance.
We observed Columbus Day yesterday so I was home. (Thanks, Chris.) I so desperately wanted to post at least one tutorial, clean off the kitchen island, organize my current knitting corner. I failed at all attempts. I did wash my car and motorcycle.
My Garter Stitch bag is complete except for the straps (I-cord takes me a long time to do) and the lining. I’m still debating on the fabric. I tried to make a tutorial on lining this bag and spent far too much time
failing redeveloping my idea. I’m about halfway done on the first one.
I also worked on the travel case for electronic chargers tutorial that I promised months ago. The text is written but inserting the photos is challenging. Plus I still need someone to test it for me.
Nothing was working out.
I’m off balance.
It’s that time of year when I start to feel overwhelmed with clutter. I try to declutter but it never seems like I’m doing enough. I’m constantly being pulled between what I want to do and what I should do.
I want to:
- make Christmas ornaments
- repaint the family room, kitchen, guest room #2, three bathrooms, the master bedroom
- buy and install a closet organizer
- get crown molding in the living and dining rooms
- hire someone to make my craft room
- display my mother’s dishes that are still in boxes from 2007
I need to do:
- laundry – it’s the putting away that drags me down
- iron Mr. Aitch’s shirts
- wash dishes – somethings just have to be washed by hand
- find the right piece of furniture to display my mother’s dishes
- organize my craft stuff: yarns, wood, paints, fabric, threads, paper, glue, beads
I don’t want to do but have to do:
- file papers – seriously I have 4 file boxes of papers that need filed
- clean out the closets – will I ever get back into those size X suits? Will they still be in style?
- clean out the pantry
- clean out the basement – full of stuff I “might” need
- Get. Rid. Of. Stuff. Tied. To. Emotions.
That list is what gets me overwhelmed. I was reading Laurie Perry’s (Crazy Aunt Purl) post from last week and can really relate to her decluttering mind-set. Defcon 1, 2, 3.
I am a crafter and I keep things that I can use. Is it ok to keep these things as long as I organize them? A place for everything and everything in its place?
Can I tackle/declutter one drawer, shelf, flat surface, box, or pile and do it for 15 minutes a day? Can I commit to this every day?