I washed the three 1898 hats to try to soften the acrylic yarn and it worked. Sort of.
They are somewhat softer and are good enough.
The green hat stitches evened out so the mess basically disappeared.
I finished the third in the series of striped 1898 hats.
This one is two shades of blue: a soft heathered medium blue (Wool-eze) and navy (Red Heart Super Saver). Same stripe sequence as the others though I only played yarn chicken with the first hat.
Oh, and I decided to follow Jude and Salpal’s advice. Leave the green hat as is and not be concerned with the wonky stitches. It IS for a child after all.
The 1898 cap is finished. Using the teal yarn, 84 stitches were picked up around the top of the headband part for the crown.
The strip sequence was:
4 rows, teal
1 row, black
3 rows, teal
2 rows, black
2 rows, teal
3 rows, black
1 row, teal
Finish with black
I won at yarn chicken this time with 50 inches of teal yarn left over.
I loved knitting the 1898 cap so I knit another one in shades of grey. Just because.
My BFF read about the cap and I offered to knit one for her if I could use yarn from my ever-expanding stash.
The yarn is Cascade 220 Paints and I love the color BUT it pools terribly for this needle size and stitch count. Pooling means that the colors group together in pools rather than float nicely around the item. Sometimes it’s a good thing and sometimes not. I wanted the colors play together and not be antisocial and cling together.
The headband is knit first and I really liked the way the colors spread but then when I began the crown part, I was not too happy with the way they didn’t as you can see below. If that would have happened on the front instead of the back, it would have been fine.
I ripped the crown apart and tried to knit with both ends to get rid of the pooling but I was not successful. I had a similar solid light blue in my stash so I randomly knit a row here and there to break it up.